Derrick Trillo, OCA tutor, interviewing Jane Weinmann about her ‘Climacteric’ work.
Developing the work: Advise “Make sure you have a topic that you can live and breath over the next few years.”
The title came from research about the menopause. There was a survey – what shapes and colour come to mind. Blue was important.
Printing out images with her in them to experiment with the look. Made a decision to make it black and white and then coloured images.
Derrick Trillo – keep the focus narrow
What I learnt
- She explored emotions and feelings in photographing objects and scenes in her environment – oblique, emotional and investigative. I think that it has taken me to A2/3 to take a step back to look at my feelings of working in lockdown. My staged images explore some of the feelings that I did not show in A1 or A2.
- Research: Doing the film confirmed to me that what I feel about my experience of lockdown, particularly the negative experiences, are interesting and valid.
- Presenting to the European group helped to resolve some of the issues about the use of colour in the project. I need to get regular input from people. Don’t be afraid to seek feedback.
- I like the service element of the work – in articulating what it feels like to be in this phase of life
- I am starting to narrow down what I do.